Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Day 2 of my 21 day fast:                                                                                                Jan 2, 2012

Today I am thinking of a portion of the following Scripture:  "Is this not the fast that I have chosen: To loose the bonds of wickedness. To undo the heavy burdens, To let the oppressed go free and that you break every yoke? ..." Isaiah 58:6

I am praying today to "bread every yoke"  that is in my life.  All of us have limiting beliefs and habits of life that seem to keep us bound to certain stations, status, activities, ways of living that cause us discomfort and even real problems.

For example.  There may be times when one wants to "One up" those with whom they are in a conversation. 
            David:  "Hey Bob, I just got a new car!"
            Bob:     " Yea, that's probably an OK car for you but I wouldn't drive one of those things if 
                            you gave it ti me!     Now MY car...  Man that's a Car!"

You and I both know that there are also more subtle ways in which people play the "One UP" game. 
That's not fun for any of us.  Behavioral habits can take us captive and be a yoke to us in our lives.
One behavioral problem that I seem to sometimes face is jumping in on conversations I am having with people and trying to answer them before they have completed their thought.  I don't do this on purpose, I just sometimes seem to jump ahead in the conversation and "Get to the Point".  there are also those who procrastinate and take the very long way around never seem to get to the point.

I had a person in a church that I once pastored who asked me to come by their place of business.  They said that they had something they wanted to talk to me about.  I set the appointment and told them that I had about 45 minutes available at the time they needed to see me and then I had another appointment with another person in the church after theirs.

About an hour into it, I thought thay had time to tell me all they wanted and I got up and started to leave only to have them tell me that they hadn't gotten to the point yet.  I had to make another appointment with them to finish the talk but one thing it revealed to me is that sometimes the "Point" isn't really the point at all.  In some peoples lives, it's the process that shows them that they are valuable.

In addition, thay may have also had a little bit of a procrastination problem which could also fit a habit or yoke that needs to be broken.

Another habit that has taken me a lifetime to perfect is my habit of being over weight.  I am really good at staying too heavy for my health.  It has caused me problems with Diabetes and put me in danger for other related health problems.

So today I am praying for God to help me have the strength to break these kinds of Yokes.  They can affect our relationships, our health and sometimes even place our lives in jeopardy.  I want to be around to see my great grandchildren.

Prayer: Dear God, Help me to not only identify some of the habits in my life of which I need the Yoke broken from me, but I am praying today for these yokes to be broken from me.  Use this fast to reveal my "flesh" to me and release my by the spirit and power of God from these yokes of bondage. In Jesus Name I pray.    AMEN

No comments:

Post a Comment