Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Day 3 of my fast                                                                                                       January 3, 2012

It's strange how I can have such sinus trouble and still feel "...the peace of God which passeth understanding."

Fasting always seems to bring a calm and a serenity to me. I have spoken with others through the years and I know that experience may not be the case with everyone.  I wish I could describe it.   Words like calm, peace, serenity all come to mind.  There seems to be no real struggle in my spirit while I am fasting.

Now Physically, that sometimes is a different story.  For the past two or three years, when I have determined to do the Daniel fast i get sick before the fast is to begin.  I really don't think there is a "Spiritual" reason behind this.  I think it's just the time of year.  Right after Christmas where I have been around great numbers of people.  Many of them coughing and sniffling.  No wonder!  But it does present a little more of a challenge.

Helpful friends say things like...
        "I could never fast while I was sick.  You need to wait until later."  (Tried that... later didn't
         come for a year!)

Or...
         They say things like...
         "Fasting is bad for you.  It will ruin your digestive system... give you kidney trouble... or, this is
          one of my favorite,   So your trying to loose weight, right?

I would like to sometimes say, "Hey guys lighten up, I'm not Job and your not his comfortless comforters... are you:?"

In reality fasting for me is a deeply spiritual experience.  For one thing, I'm not just doing without food.  I'm also praying and seeking God and reflecting on my Christian journey,  Asking God for guidance for next steps for the Church etc.

So I got a cold in my nose... And peace in my heart.  Go figure!

Prayer:
Dear Lord, I just want to thank you for your presence in my life today.  AMEN

No comments:

Post a Comment