Monday, January 2, 2012

Fasting: Day One

"Is this not the fast that I have chosen:  To loose the bonds of wickedness.  To undo the heavy burdens, To let the oppressed go free and that you break every yoke? ..."  Isaiah 58:6

Fasting is a Spiritual Discipline. As such, you should take care of your health and do not do anything foolish during your fast.  If you decide to fast, be careful about your health and if you are under a Dr's Care or have any health issue at all you should consult with your physician before going on a fast.

We are doing what is called an "Open" fast at our Church.  In the Bible there were times when spiritual leadership called for the people to fast. As such, this fast is not a "secret" fast which I believe is also Biblical.  I have called a fast for our church and asked those who felt led, to join with me in this time of fasting.

Some of us are doing the "Daniel" fast.  Others are doing their own self styled version of the Daniel fast and still others are doing other kinds of fasting as they feel led of the Lord.   Although this fast is  done openly with those who are part of our spiritual community, it is not to be done for the purpose of being "seen" of others.   It is still for personal spiritual purposes and while it is known by us it is not for show.

I believe this is a good kind of fast to use to encourage those around to begin fasting as a new spiritual discipline in their lives.  The nature of this kind of fast allows one to encourage and be encouraged by others during the fast.

Today is my first full fast day. My fasting began at sunset on the first so at sunset today, I will begin day two of the fast.  I am fasting all solid foods.  I do drink liquids including a few ounces of juice mixed with water in the morning and the evening.  If you do juices during your fast be careful if you buy juice from the store. Many juices can have more sugar than sugary sodas.

I am fasting for the above promises mentioned in Isaiah 58:6 and also for the promises mentioned further down...
*   Your light shall break forth like the morning
*   Your healing will spring forth quickly...
*   Your righteousness will go before you
*   The glory of the Lord will be your rear guard
*   Then you shall call, and the Lord will answer; you shall cry and He will say "Here I Am".
*   You light shall dawn in the darkness and your darkness shall be as the noonday
*   The Lord will guide you continually
*   And satisfy your soul in drought

And so on...

I am believing God for guidance for our Church and for souls to Come to Christ as a result of this fast.  Some people, including myself will be keeping a personal journal during the fast.  It is a good idea to journal on your fast so you do not loose any of the things that the Lord speaks to your heart during your fast.

As the sun sets, I will have finished my first full day of fasting and will have begun day two.

My Day One Prayer:
Dear Father. Maker of Heaven and Earth.  Guide me and help me to experience all things that are your will for me during this fast. Help me to be the leader that you intend for me to be so that I can guide and encourage your loving people  in the things of God.  In Jesus Name,  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment